Another year of the National Association of Home Builders International Builders’ Show has come and gone! We enjoyed our time in Orlando with networking, attending educational sessions and we even brought home some awards. Three people from KEPHART were presenters, three people participated in plan reviews, and we took home three awards. Three must be KEPHART’s lucky number! See below for a summary of this years’ experience.
- Do This, Not That! Design Do’s and Don’ts for 2018
During this fast-paced design session at IBS, KEPHART’s Jennie LeNoue presented with Mike Latimer with TK Design Associates and Angela Harris with Trio Environments about design Do’s and Don’ts for 2018. As design professionals, when touring homes and models or sorting through images on Houzz, we of course notice all of the things that people are still doing that are dated. The goal of this session was to bring to light the design mistakes that people are still making, while showing new design ideas to refresh elevations, floor plans, kitchens, baths and everything in between to attract today’s buyers. All of the slides showing “Don’ts” in this presentation are notated with a red “Don’t” label, while all of the slides showing “Do’s” are blank. At the end of the presentation is a section that has jokingly been labeled as “WTF” because no one knows exactly what is happening in those images.
- Niche Markets: A small builder’s guide to urban infillJon Webb with KEPHART presented with Eric Brown with Artisan Homes and Jared Carlon with Norris Design on urban infill for the small builder. They shared their expertise on how to evaluate valuable infill sites as they relate to the surrounding neighborhood and development. They talked about the rewards of taking on the challenges of infill development and why builders should be open to considering these unconventional sites. And finally, they analyzed creative design and site maximizations solutions to spark ideas for the next community that comes along.
- Turn NIMBY into YIMBY: Winning Zoning Approvals
Chris Grady with KEPHART shared his expertise along with Jared Carlon with Norris Design and Phil Stuepfert with HR Green on winning zoning approvals. Their focus covered four key areas of zoning approvals, including political temperature, interfacing with local leaders, meeting with the neighbors, and public hearings. An important outcome for the audience was to discover effective ways to navigate neighborhood and public meetings and ultimately walk away with a win. S
We were presented with three awards at the International Builders’ Show this year.
- At the Multifamily Pillars of the Industry Awards, Denizen won Gold for Best Example of Green Building Concepts. Kent Place won Silver for Best 55+ Multifamily Community.
- At the Best in Green Awards, Denizen won Gold for Multifamily Project- Market Rate.
We are very impressed with all the winners from this year’s awards! To see the winners of the Multifamily Pillars of the Industry Awards, click here. To view the winners of the Best in Green Awards, click here.
We look forward to seeing everyone back in Las Vegas for the Internationals Builders’ Show next year!